Sunday, July 21, 2013

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) Blue Awareness Ribbon Angel

Lou Gehrig's Disease / ALS Blue Awareness Ribbon Angel    

A blue ribbon or blue and white striped ribbon shows support for Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis 
(ALS) awareness. 

The ribbon color was initially blue but many causes use the blue ribbon.  This was updated to the blue and white striped ribbon as a baseball reference to the baseball player, Lou Gehrig who helped make the general public aware of this disease when he became ill.

 ALS is also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease and is 100% fatal and has few treatments to improve the quality of life.   

ALS can strike anyone & is not contagious.  Although the life expectancy of an ALS patient averages about two to five years from the time of diagnosis, this disease is variable and many people live with quality for five years and more.  More than half of all patients live more than three years after diagnosis.
ALS Blue and White Striped Awareness Ribbon Angel Art Painting
ALS Blue and White Striped Awareness Ribbon Angel Art Painting

ALS is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Motor neurons reach from the brain to the spinal cord and from the spinal cord to the muscles throughout the body. The progressive degeneration of the motor neurons in ALS eventually leads to their death.

Although the cause of ALS is not completely understood, the recent years have brought a wealth of new scientific understanding regarding the physiology of this disease.  When the motor neurons die, the ability of the brain to initiate and control muscle movement is lost.   

Early symptoms of ALS often include increasing muscle weakness, especially involving the arms and legs, speech, swallowing or breathing. When muscles no longer receive the messages from the motor neurons that they require to function, the muscles begin to atrophy (become smaller). Limbs begin to look "thinner" as muscle tissue atrophies.  With voluntary muscle action progressively affected, patients in the later stages of the disease may become totally paralyzed.

Approximately 5,600 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with ALS each year.  Most commonly, the disease strikes people between the ages of 40 and 70.  The incidence of ALS is two per 100,000 people, and it is estimated that as many as 30,000 Americans may have the disease at any given time.

In 1939, Lou Gehrig brought national and international attention to the disease when he abruptly retired from baseball after being diagnosed with ALS.  

Let this ALS Blue Awareness Ribbon Angel help bring hope and healing!

ALS information above is from the ALS Association.  Read more on their website at http://www.alsa.org/

Buy these Awareness Ribbon Angels on the Awareness Gallery Zazzle Gift Store or CafePress Unique Gifts Store!  

There are multiple options for ALS Ribbon Products on Zazzle for the ALS awareness ribbon.  You can also scroll and see some merchandise options too. 


View the images and pictures on the ALS Blue and White Awareness Ribbon Pinterest Board.

Visit Us & See More Art at AwarenessGallery.com!


ALS Awareness Ribbon Angel Custom Postage Stamp
ALS Awareness Ribbon Angel Custom Postage Stamp by AwarenessGallery
Check out more Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis Stamps at Zazzle

ALS Awareness Angel Custom Magnet
ALS Awareness Angel Custom Magnet by AwarenessGallery
Browse Als awareness Magnets online at Zazzle.com


Subscribe to our Awareness Newsletter for Art Updates!

* indicates required

1 comment:

  1. Hello everyone out there, I'm here to give my testimony about a herbalist doctor who helped me. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2011, I went to many hospitals to heal myself but there was no solution, so I was thinking how I can get a solution so that my body can be well. One day I was in the river thinking about where I can go to get a solution. so a lady walked towards me telling me why I'm so sad and I open everything by telling her my problem, she told me she could help me, she introduced me to a doctor who uses herbal medicines to cure the SIMPLEX HERPES VIRUS and gave me your email, so I sent you an email. He told me everything I had to do and also gave me instructions to take, which I followed correctly. Before I knew what was happening after two weeks, the SIMPLEX HERPES VIRUS that was in my body disappeared. therefore, if you also have a broken heart and need help, you can also send an email to {drpaulherbalhome4@gmail.com}

    Contact him today and he will have a testimony ... Good luck!



    Dr. PAUL also cures:

    1. HIV / AIDS

    2. HERPES 1/2

    3. CANCER

    4. ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease)

    5. Hepatitis B

    6. chronic pancreatic

    7. emphysema

    8. COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)

    ReplyDelete